Historical notes about Hemington's Manor at Stilton in Huntingdonshire, England, UK
The remaining third part of Stilton manor was known as HEMINGTON'S MANOR. John de Littlebury and his wife Margery, who represented the third sister of Nigel de Lovetot, granted it in 1256 to Richard de Hemington and his wife Amice and Richard's heirs to hold by knight's service. In 1279 John son of John de Hemington, a minor in the wardship of the Earl of Gloucester, was heir to the manor and was holding it in 1303. In 1314, Richard de Hemington had succeeded him, and in 1330 granted the manor to Robert le Chamberleyn of Stilton and his wife Mary for their lives. He died before 1373, and another Richard de Hemington held it in 1378.
In 1394, Katherine Drayton held the manor for life, and a settlement of the reversion was then made by a Richard de Hemington on himself and his son Thomas. He was living in 1403, but in 1414 had been succeeded by his son Richard, Thomas presumably having died childless. In that year Hemington's Manor was sold to feoffees and passed to John Belle, who died before 1428 and was succeeded by his daughter and heir Agnes, the wife of John Sankey. Sankey died before 1437, and his widow granted the manor to feoffees in 1443, presumably in trust for her heir Henry Sankey, who obtained seisin in 1458.
In 1522, Marion Grim, the widow of Thomas Sankey, died seised of lands and tenements in Stilton, which passed to her son Thomas Sankey. He died seised of Hemington's Manor in 1548 and it passed by settlement to his son Edward and his wife Mary. In 1622, it was in the hands of Thomas Sankey, who with his wife and other parties sold it to William Curtys, a member of a family of yeomen of Stilton. His son, John Curtys, with the consent apparently of his mother Alice and her second husband, Alan Manestye, sold it to Sir Robert Cotton, the antiquary, in 1640. On the death of Sir John Cotton in 1731, Hemington's Manor passed to his sister Frances, the wife of William Hanbury, and then to their daughter Mary, the wife of the Rev. Martin Annesley.
The Annesleys held it till the middle of the 19th century, but in 1854 the Rev. William Strong was lord of the manor. His son, Major Charles Isham Strong, was holding it in 1885 and still owned it in 1894. It had passed to Mr. John Ashton Fielden, of Holme, the present owner, by 1903.
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Published in 1932